Saturday, June 6, 2015

Don't Care For Zombie Shows But LOVE The Walking Dead

 
Some Facts that I mention, were taken from information I attempted to confirm on the web. So if I'm inaccurate about some things then I apologize. I do have a brief knowledge of the shows origin and a friend actually has a part in helping create the comic books but I am mostly a fan of the TV show itself. I am also aware that I need to stop rambling sometimes....working on that lol. 
In my last post, I talked about a few of my favorite iOS games but also slightly mentioned the TV show "The Walking Deadthat one game [of the same name] was based on, yet tried to remain focused on the original point of my post, which was games, so I tried not to get into show much.
Now I'd like to share my thoughts on the show that inspired me to get the game to begin with. Why?  Because I may be able to offer a different view and reason for becoming a fan of this show that may not be as common as most "Walking Dead" fans, or at least I don't believe I'm the typical viewer.  Possibly convincing others to check it out as well? Maybe not? We shall see.
 
First, I've taken an excerpt from wikipedia.org to explain the show quickly for anyone unfamiliar.
Basic Description of The Show:
"The Walking Dead is an American horror drama television series developed by Frank Darabont, based on the comic book series of the same name by Robert KirkmanTony Moore, and Charlie Adlard
Andrew Lincoln plays the show's lead character, sheriff's deputy Rick Grimes,[3]who awakens from a months-long coma to confront a new, apocalyptic world overrun by flesh-eating zombies."
 
I have read a few of the comics after becoming a fan of the show but I had not read or even heard of anything related to "The Walking Dead" before discovering TV show. This can be considered good or bad, depending on who you are. Many things (not all) are taken directly from the comics, which means hardcore fans sometimes already know what's coming or understand what's happening first, where I am always confused and surprised each episode but in a good way. I enjoy not knowing and the show does change things enough so that it's still new and exciting for all fans.
 
My Personal Movie Interests:
The thing about me is that I am a huge horror fan but my interests go mainly toward supernatural horror.....things like, but not limited to, your classic ghost stories, true crime or real life situations and many others that involve the jump scares and suspense. I don't care for things like the "Saw" movies that use only human torture and pain as the base of the movie. I look away at those parts in movies, so it's pointless to me. I also dislike this new genre that makes the whole movie look like a home movie. Most are so shaky and annoying that it makes me dizzy. Plus, you know they are actors so it takes away any real fear in my opinion. I didn't even like when it began with "Blair Witch Project" and most of these films have so much boring footage that your half asleep by the time something actually does happen. I like my movies to actually keep my interest. 
 
Then there are Zombie films. I am not saying I dislike them because I don't, but there are so many and it's not a genre I will actively look for. In my opinion, the concept in zombie films is usually similar so I don't bother. There are exceptions though. I loved "Shaun of the Dead" with its comedy and it's just a fun film. "28 Days" I found after "The Walking Dead" and it's a similar in a lot of ways. Plus a few other zombie films but after seeing a few, sometimes I just assume any new ones will be the same thing and pass right by it with no real interest.
 
 
How "TWD" Finally Caught My Attention:
When "The Walking Dead" came out, I saw the commercials and because I knew it was about "zombies", I probably paid little interest whenever it was mentioned or advertised. They had commercials on a lot though. If you watched AMC or any similar cable channels, then you couldn't miss hearing about it. I'm not positive but I believe the show significantly climbed the ratings each year, which meant bigger budgets and more advertising so it's almost unavoidable (watching a commercial here and there) and by the end of its 3rd season I kept seeing this one preview for an episode that showed an extremely creepy zombie growling and sitting against a tree with no lower body I think. I also think it was sort of embedded into the tree as if it was sitting there so long it fused together with tree but it moved its head and growled. 
 
I don't know how many times I had seen this specific commercial but it felt like a lot and it captured my attention each and every time. I was always so amazed at how cool the effects were and how creepy this thing made me feel just looking at it. I became more and more curious each time until I finally had to see what this was all about but I didn't want to watch the coming episode because the season was almost over. I wanted to see the first episode and see what it was about and if it was as interesting as this one commercial was. Thankfully Netflix had it available and I decided to give it a shot. 
 
I was hooked immediately and found out quickly that this wasn't your average zombie show/movie. This was surprisingly unique and now in its 6th season, it is by far my absolute favorite TV show. So what about my whole theory on zombie movies being the same and not my thing? It hasn't changed. My opinions on zombie movies is the same and I still pass on most zombie related films unless they are very, very highly recommended. 
 
Why "TWD" Is Unique (In my opinion): 
"The Walking Dead", although technically a "zombie show", is not really about "zombies". First of all, they never use the word "zombie". Each group of people have their own name for these undead creatures but they are initially referred to as "walkers" (hence the title) and while the "walkers" are prominent in the show and always around, you'll find that it's more about survival and humanity
It's about regular people being suddenly thrown into this new world where nothing is the same. There's no government, no help, and worst of all, no more rules. It's each man/woman for themselves, which is what makes it a truly scary thing. 
 
I love the fact that it's somewhat realistic....meaning it's something that could actually happen to us. Not the turning into zombies or facing zombies thing but the destruction of our world and having to learn how to survive after a worldwide disaster. I like how they are faced with new threats and situations we never would imagine before, making you think about what you would do. How far would you go to survive? How to live with the choices you make and so on....
 
The "walkers" are only a small part of the problem in the show. They are actually one of the only things that you can make sure about because you know what they are, what they are capable of, and what they want....it's everything else that's unpredictable and scary now. So you can see why this show is different. 
Not only does this show have a fantastic story that is constantly evolving as it never runs out of possibilities and situations to keep you anxiously awaiting for what's next. 
I loved starting after three full seasons... being able to watch the next episode right away after great cliffhangers was heaven. When I eventually caught up to current episodes and had to wait a week between episodes, it felt like torture lol.
 
I recommend giving this show a chance, even if you aren't a zombie movie person like me. It's a great show. 
They are also making a spinoff called "Fear The Walking Dead". Coming soon I hope! 
 
 
Links: 
 
The Walking Dead Website